Front Fender

The front fender is one of the ugliest parts of the bike. It was damaged while pulling it out of storage in Seattle.




So now I have to decide to repair it, or replace it.

To repair it, I can attempt to do it myself or hire someone to do it for me.

The job will probably take a few hours at least, so to hire someone will simply cost too much - out of the question.
Now I must decide to try to do it myself. I only have minimal experience with fiberglass work, but I do have the materials in the shop...

Meanwhile, I hopped on eBay and set it up to automatically notify me whenever a new posting pops up with one of these fenders.

While evaluating the fender, I just don't have confidence that I can shape the contours and edges properly. it seems a bit too tricky for me to pull of with any good results. I'm afraid it will just end up looking like shit.

After a couple of weeks, an ad popped up on eBay for a fender. The photos all looked really good. The price was actually very reasonable - even lower than some really terrible examples I had been seeing. Was this thing legit?

After fully examining the photos, I decided that even if it wasn't as good as the pictures it was a solid base for preparing for paint. It would add another color to the motley paint scheme already on the bike, but I pulled the trigger and bought it for $50 including shipping. It's a steal, really.

When I received the item in the mail I was absolutely surprised and delighted at the item! It was immaculate! It looked nearly brand new!

I'll put the old one up on eBay and see if I can recoup a few dollars.



Up next, I need to fix up the saddle...

Comments