More checking and cleaning...

While I wait for the new fuel tank, I will look into some other items that need attention.

Next up is the subframe.
Rusty


I noticed that there is a lot of surface rust on it, and since I already had the shocks off to clean them up, I'll just pull the subframe off and give it some fresh paint.





I found some awesome paint that only requires you to use a wire brush to get all of the loose material off before spraying. It's called "Hammered" Black Paint.

It did a great job on the subframe - I'm really impressed with the finish. I put a bunch of coats on it to make it really thick and durable.









Lookin' Good!



Also, while the rear end is getting pulled apart I pulled out the battery tray, which had a bunch of rust on it - most likely from years of battery acid. I cleaned it up and painted it, too.
The new battery I got is a sealed cell unit that won't leak on the tray anymore, so this should be the last time it needs attention.


Here's the 'before' shot. Forgot to take an 'after' shot, but it looks great now!

Hey, while I'm at it, I'll pull off the rear wheel and clean it up, too.
It's really dirty, but not in too bad shape.
I put new grease on the drive splines as well.

Yuck

All Cleaned Up


While the rear wheel is off, I'll pull off the rear fender/brake light/blinker setup. It's really dirty, too - and the chrome on the blinker bar is really rusty. I take care of that while I'm at it.
Rust and Spider Sacks

De-rusted and polished up


Then I removed the rust from the exhaust mufflers and shined them up.

Shiny Mufflers



Wow, the UPS guy just delivered the new fuel tank! Time to assemble everything, along with the new tank!!


Comments