Waiting Game

As I wait to get the steering head bearings and tools to complete the job, I took a look at what could be causing the front wheel to bind up and spin slowly.

The first and easiest is the wheel bearings. I am happy to find that they seem to be in good condition.

The wheel is cast aluminum and is a bit crusty, but everything seems in fair condition. I'll clean up the wheel and set it aside for reassembly.

The tire is a bit old, but the tread seems to be ok. I think it will be alright for temporary use. After the bike is road worthy, I'll see how they perform. If they suck, I'll order new ones.

The next up is the front brake caliper. It has a bunch of crust and surface rust - and spider webs.
I was able to get both pistons in the caliper to move, which is a good sign. I've decided to see how they work after cleaning them up and properly bleeding the brake lines.

Speaking of brake lines, they appear to be original - and as good condition as you would expect of a 39 year old bike. They are a bit dried out and don't inspire confidence. I have decided to get rid of them and upgrade to stainless steel braided lines. This is probably the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade to these old brake systems. By not allowing the tube to bulge and expand under pressure, the stainless steel braided lines will give me much better braking force and better brake feel.

There are a lot of pre-made stainless brake lines for motorcycles, but not really for these old BMW's. At least not without using a bunch of expensive adapters for the metric threads that they use. Therefore, I've decided to make my own. I have sourced the bulk tubing and the fittings that I need. There are a couple of brands out there, but I like the Earl's Speed-Flex system. The tubing is available with a PVC coating on top of the stainless steel, which will protect the braiding in places where it is bound to rub a little.

This bike only has 1 disc up front. Most modern bikes have 2 disc brakes up there.
Upon closer inspection, it does look like there is a possibility to further upgrade the front brakes by adding a second disc and caliper to the system. All of the mounting points are there as well as a place to add an additional brake line. Other than cost, it actually looks like an easy upgrade. That said, I think I will wait for a while before committing to that one.

The parts are on order, so I'll have to wait...

In the meantime, I'll clean some of this stuff up and get it ready for reassembly.

Comments