Whatever Floats Yer Boat!

Since getting everything all back together, I have logged about 20+ miles.
The bike starts up easily every time and rides pretty good.
Ready to roll

According to the speedometer, I got it up to about 93 mph the other day. The GPS app that I have on my phone reported that I had a max speed of 87 on that ride. I suppose that's about what I would suspect. It seems that motorcycle speedometers invariably tell you that you are going faster than you really are. I think they do it on purpose, a sort of safety feature.
Once I get the carburetors dialed in, I will attempt the "Ton Up."

Anyway, almost everything is just fine with the bike.
The only problem is that the Left carb keeps overflowing and dripping onto the ground.
Pretty much this can only be the float, float adjustment, or the needle valve.

I have adjusted the tab on the float about as much as I can, and it is still overflowing.

I found an old timer that goes by the handle "Snowbum," and he has documented all of his BMW bike knowledge on his web site, bmwmotorcycletech.info
It's not a pretty site, but it is really informative. I am amazed at how much information this guy has documented.
In fact, he had an article specific to this problem.

He suggests pulling out the float and weighing it. If it is more than 10g, then it has started to saturate with gas and won't float up to shut off the incoming fuel.

Mine weighs 16g. I hope this overweight status doesn't creep into the rest of my life...
Behind the glare, it reads 16g


He suggests replacing the needle valve along with the float, but my needle valve looks to be in good shape. They are also about $20 to replace. That would be in addition to the $25 for the new float that I found on eBay. I’ll go with the $25 cheapskate repair.

The rubber seat doesn't have excessive wear, so I'll keep it


I should have the new part in a few days. Once I have it in hand, it will take only 5 minutes to install.

**UPDATE**
I got the new float in the mail today and installed it in about 5 minutes. After a minor adjustment to make it close at the proper level, I put the float bowl back on and opened the fuel petcock.
No pissing fuel.
Success!!!
Just to be sure, I shut off the fuel and pulled the float bowl off to check the level. Perfect.
****


Then back to thinking about the remaining items on the list:
New seat - Buy new, or re-cover the old?
Gas cap - Buy new, or attempt a repair?
Paint - A friend of a friend may be able to help out with this.

Comments