Pump the Brakes!!

As I start putting the front end of the bike back together, one of the things I really want to do is to optimize the old 1979 brake technology. The first place to start is the brake line. The stock lines are just old, rubber hose. It can expand a bit when really squeezing the brakes, which will give me less force where I need it - in the caliper.

Wimpy old rubber brake lines

One of the best upgrades is to exchange the old rubber hose with new PTFE lines with stainless steel braiding on the exterior, all covered with PVC to protect the steel braiding. Super strong and durable with no expansion or flex, directing all of my brake force to the brake pads.

I selected Earl's Speed-Flex hose and Speed-Seal fittings from Holley Performance. I ordered 3' of bulk tubing, along with the various fittings that I needed to construct 2 lines: one between the master cylinder and the main distribution point, and another line from the main distribution point to the caliper.

It is actually a fairly easy assembly, and in no time I had the brake lines cut to length and assembled on my bench.

Things look a little yucky back here, but this is all hidden behind the headlight
The point is to show the nice, new SS brake line installed


After a few more minutes, everything was installed on the bike and ready to fill with brake fluid.

It took a while, but I worked new fluid through the system. It took a lot of pumping, but I'm really good at it. Oh, so good.
There was some yucky, cloudy residual fluid in the caliper that quickly washed away, along with all the air in the system. No leaks from my newly fabricated brake lines.

Fully functional caliper with SS brake line attached

The brake feels fairly tight and solid now, and the brakes release nicely to let the front wheel spin freely, which wasn't the case when I got the bike. During my down-time, waiting for other parts, I freed up both of the pistons in the caliper. They seemed to be stuck in place, but after working them in and out a few times, they freed up nicely. I'm glad, because I really didn't want to rebuild the caliper.

One thing I did note is there was some brake fluid on the exterior of the reservoir. I'm not sure if I spilled a little, or if there is some leakage from the seam between the plastic reservoir and the metal housing. The previous owner had some butyl tape wrapped around that seam, which is suspicious.
I'll monitor the situation.

Worst case, I will get a new master cylinder. I've seen some universal units available that look pretty good and don't cost very much.
The stock setup has the throttle, starter button, and master cylinder/brake lever all in one unit. If I go that route, I'll need to figure it all out. Shouldn't be too difficult.


As a possible future upgrade to the brakes, I can add a second caliper and disc to the right hand side of the wheel. The bike is fully-equipped for this upgrade - the fork and wheel already have provisions for mounting the gear. The main hydraulic distribution point has a fitting for a second brake line, which is currently capped off.
The upgrade would be fairly easy, but it would cost a few duckets to get the caliper and disc.

The front end all assembled


Comments