Cleanup - pt 4 - Dash/Instrument Cluster




One of the last items from the front end that needs to be cleaned up is the dash or instrument cluster. On this bike, it has a large vinyl area that looks more like a dash board than simply an instrument cluster.

This thing was atrocious.
The vinyl on the front was faded and dirty. There was thick dirt and grease on the back, in addition to a bunch of spider webs, spider egg sacks, and dead spiders! Ick.

I had serious doubts that I would be able to clean it up very well at all, but before committing to get a new unit for the job, I decided to give it a shot to clean this thing up - just to see what happens.

Wow.
I wish I had taken better 'before' pictures of the instrument cluster!
I am VERY surprised with how it turned out!

To get these results, I used compressed air to get all of the loose dirt, and spider material out of there. I followed up with some Simple Green to get the thick dirt and grease off.
The last bit was the vinyl on the front. I applied some good old tire cleaner/blacker, and that did the trick!
It looks great now!










Comments