Back in Black!

The new tank arrived and upon close inspection, it looks better than I anticipated!
The inside is perfect. I think it has a coating inside, so it probably won't rust out later.
The outside has a couple of scratches, but not too bad after 40 years.
Only a few minor dings on the outside - nothing the body guy can't fix.

After a quick blow with the shop vac, making sure there was absolutely nothing inside, I mounted the tank and put fuel in it.
Everything assembled and ready to go


I noticed that the fuel lines were weeping just a little. I'd better just change those out before it gets worse. Good thing I had some spare fuel line in the shop - the exact amount needed, too. That was lucky.

After getting it all back together, it's time to attempt to start it again.

Wish me luck...


And it works!!!!!


It fired up and runs nicely, although it probably needs the carbs balanced out.

I also need to tweek the floats so that they don't overflow.

That's all just minor stuff at this point.


Now it's time for the long awaited moment... what's it like to ride?

First, add the proper amount of air pressure to the tires, then just a quick ride to the end of the block to make sure it goes and stops.

Success!

After making sure it can stop, I took it for a slow speed ride through the neighborhood, shifting gears and double checking the brakes. Not bad...

Now for a higher speed run down a bigger road with no stop signs.

It revved up really nicely and shifted through all the gears.

Nice little bike, I'm digging it!

Up next, I'll tweak the carburetors and get it in tip-top running order.

Then comes body work and paint...

Comments