R65 Delivery

Mess-Man was coming down to Portland for some bike polo over Easter weekend, so it was a perfect time to scoop up the old BMW R65 from Steve's house and bring it down for me. The Sprinter van made for an easy transport for the old bike.

Here's a pic that they shared in Seattle before heading down to Portland:
Lots of room in the Sprinter for a motorbike!!


Matt and I unloaded it and rolled it into my garage on Saturday. Boy, it's crusty. And musty. And needs some serious attention!
What have I gotten myself into??

After a closer inspection, I came up with a laundry list of things that need to be addressed.

Most important is anything that gasoline touches. Namely, the gas tank and the carburetors. That gas tank is friggin rusty and gross!
The carbs both need a rebuild. And shit, one of them needs a float bowl. Finding one may be time consuming and will cost a few duckets, I'm sure.

The spark plugs look good, so it did run well before it was left alone in the garage. That's good news.

Once I get the fuel situation squared away, I'll change out all of the fluids, get a new battery, and try to start it up!

I've got a way to go yet, though...

Here's a few photos that I took after delivery:





Comments