Looking For Trouble

What's wrong with me? Don't I already have enough going on in my life??

I've been dreaming of old classic bikes and scoping them out any time I see one pass by. I have been really into cafe racers, bobbers, and even stock renovations lately, and I have been itching to get a motorcycle project of my very own.

I temporarily satisfied the itch last year by replacing the rear shock on my Triumph. When that was done, I decided to paint the fairing. I did it all in my garage last summer. It was my first paint job and I think I did a pretty good job.

I have some friends that have finished motorcycle projects. For instance, my friend Mess-Man had an old BMW that he found in a neighbor's garage. He traded some carpentry work for some motorcycle work and got the bike running. Since it was his first bike and didn't have much experience or much time to ride - not to mention a bit of push-back from his wife, the bike sat unused in his garage for a couple of years.
By and by, he sold it to our mutual friend Steve, who had the intention of bringing it back to life again (again). A couple of months ago, Mess-Man was down from Seattle for a quick visit and I asked him about that old BMW, thinking Steve had started working on the bike. Well, life has a way of keeping us occupied, and time has a way of creeping up on us. Alas, the bike sat unused in Steve's garage as well.

I gave Steve a call and asked if he was willing to part with the old Airhead. Since he hadn't been able to work on the bike I think he was happy to have some more space in his garage, so I agreed to buy it from him. Now I have my very own motorcycle project to work on this spring and summer.

Those old Beemers are really cool bikes. They have a lot of style and seem to be uber-reliable.
People rode them all over the world, racking up 100,000 miles +.
I'm pretty psyched about getting this old bike in my garage.



This is a photo of the bike after Mess-Man got it running.

Comments