Bing Bing!

Missing Float Bowl
When I got the bike, it was missing the float bowl from the right side carburetor. Without it, the bike simply will not run, so I was a bit worried about finding a replacement for a reasonable price. Fortunately I was able to find one on eBay. The price was higher than I would have wanted, but it was still not too terrible.

The new float bowl was delivered on Saturday and I got to work right away. I pulled the right side carb apart and placed everything in the parts cleaner, including the float bowl. After pulling everything out of the cleaner, I used compressed air to get all the gunk off and clear out all of the tiny passages and jets.
New(??) Float Bowl - Needs attention

The float bowl was still pretty rough even after coming out of the cleaner. It had a thick layer of gunk that just didn't want to come off. The float bowl on these carbs also has a small jet for the choke, which was completely blocked and filled with yucky muck.
I used a soft brass poker to clear it out as gently as I could, being careful not to mess it up. It took a fair amount of work, but I got it cleared out and was able to blow some compressed air through the passage. Apparently, having this passage clean on both carbs is key to having these bikes start up easily in the morning. Otherwise, the choke will simply not work and the bike won't want to run. A brass brush cleaned up the rest of the part, and it was ready to go!

Next, I installed all the new o-rings, and put it back together. It looks just like new again.
All Cleaned Up
All Cleaned Up

Maybe I'll find some aluminum polish and brighten them up for a little extra bling on my Bing. I'll tackle that another day. For now, both carbs are functional and ready to go. Hopefully I can get this beast back together and start it up.

For mounting the carbs back on the bike, I noted that one of the rubber intake boots is missing from the left side carburetor. I found some brand new after-market units on the Internet, but it would be at least a week before I got them in the mail. I figure I can find something at the local auto parts store and fabricate my own.  I measured the outlet of the carb and the inlet of the head. Both were the same, so that makes it easy(er). 
At the O'Reilly's auto parts store near the house I was able to talk the guy into letting me in the back to look through his inventory of radiator hose and found one that has the correct inside diameter, so I bought it and took it back to my shop, cut it to the correct length, and made two fresh pieces for installation.
New input boots made, I popped both carbs back on the bike. It is a slightly tricky job, but after I figured it out, it was actually pretty easy.

Left Installed
Right Installed
   





















Now, can this bike run? Or is it a total basket case?

Comments